Goal 1 – Strengthen Individuals
A. Challenges that undermine Wellbeing
At this turbulent time there are many challenges to individuals’ Wellbeing, which is understood as physical and mental health, the fulfilment of long-term goals and one’s sense of purpose and meaning in life.
- The Reality of Isolation: A recent study finds that half of US Americans, especially young people, feel lonely. This undermines their confidence, social skills and willingness to actively engage in their communities. This is unfortunately a global phenomena.
- The Impact of Social Media: The Center for Humane Technology (CHT) highlights the potential dangers of technology. Addiction to social media can negatively affect mental and physical health, identities, relationships, and weaken interpersonal relationships. On the other hand, it can be a space for tremendous access to and connection with people and resources.
- The Ecological Crisis: Economic and political advisor Jeremy Rifkin tells us that we are in the sixth extinction event of life on earth. Individuals’ sense of powerlessness to make meaningful change in their societies means that most people continue “business as usual” despite the catastrophic consequences.
B. Wellbeing Activities to Strengthen Individuals
Communities can support individuals to acquire awareness of social interactions, life and wellbeing skills, which has a snowball effect on societies’ health. CBE seeks to create a community that facilitates growth through activities based on social change research including peer-to-peer interactions, collaboration, and transformative learning experiences.
- Self-Development: CBE responds to apathy and emotional crisis by facilitating peer interactions to enhance wellbeing and life skills.
- Peer Dialogue: We respond to isolation by strengthening existing relationships and creating new ones through meaningful interpersonal interactions.
- Conscious Social Media Usage: We address destructive habits by modelling responsible social media use and balancing online time with face-to-face relations.
Note: our Goals 2 and 3 are Rebuild Relationships and Inspire Actions