Pre Dialogue Preparations
Thank you for offering your awareness, talent and time to initiate dialogues. You don’t need to be an expert in race relations to support this process. You need the willingness to learn, the courage to be vulnerable and the openness to also discover personal blind-spots. You need the commitment to check your own intentions and support creating safe spaces in which constructive dialogues on race can happen.
Yes, we may make mistakes when exploring painful issues. But if we are prepared to recognize them, if we are prepared to own them, then they do not have to mark the end of the dialogue. On the contrary, they can become indicators of the thresholds where we start to grow deeper mutual understanding and connection.
Enhance your awareness and skills for hosting a screening by reviewing following resources:
- Explore qualities needed for a Culture of Dialogue: view
- Review videos that aim to help you Initiating Interracial Dialogue: view
- Discover communication skills in the Dialogue Training Videos: view
Prepare the group:
Support your group by sending an e-mail one week prior to the screening to set the tone, expectations and context for the dialogue. The following guide and resources are created to support you in this initial step.
- Group mail template: view (AT Intro, Group safety, Aptitude, Culture of Dialogue)
- Invite participants to watch the videos of the page Culture of Dialogue: view
Return to the page Host a Screening